Monday, November 15, 2010

Letters From Miss Ellie

November 15, 2010

I am missing my mom a lot today for a lot of reasons.  Today is the day that my sister Lisa and I always "had" to celebrate our birthday's when we were children!  Lisa's BD is November 10th and mine is November 20th..but our mom came up with the idea to have one celebration and do it on November 15th.  She was very good.  We were totally sold on it.  Lisa got her German Chocolate Cake and I always got my banana pudding, so as long as our tummies were happy, we never questioned sharing a birthday.

Lisa and I have been without our parents since 1991.  The longer we go without them, I think the closer we become, and the more a sense of family means to us.  The truth be known, we HATED sharing a birthday.  We even HAD to do it as adults.  We used to gripe and complain under our breath, but knowing what we know now, we would be more than happy to share this day together.  I would even eat German Chocolate Cake and give up my Banana Pudding (even though coconut is the devil) just to have my mom share this special day with us.

To get myself through this day, I broke out the most cherished item that I inherited, a box of letters.  This is not just any box of letters, but a box of letters that my mom sent my dad while she was away at college.  And he kept them...all of those years..and I found them...in a box, in a closet, tucked away and hidden, in the burnt remains of what had been my childhood home.

No comments:

Post a Comment